Secure your privates as we sploosh all over this episode talking about John Wick and his wife, the face that launched a thousand headshots. Listen to this ep or the Baba Yaga will be on your ass.
Breakdown and Analysis
- It wasn’t just about a puppy
- Keanu Reeves is too pure for this world and we do not deserve him. John Wick is his most pivotal role. Oti doesn’t write these pages so I can say it. Fight me.
- The introduction to the underbelly of assassins in John Wick is done at a pace that still keeps our main protagonist at the forefront. What a fascinating world of markers, continental and high table.
- Ian McShane has a face for cinema. Meaning it doesn’t make sense in ordinary settings.
- Anjelica Huston has a commanding presence. A presence not even Tobias Funke can teach.
- CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE ACTION SCENES? CAN WE?! So many highlights and not enough sploosh fluid. Let’s try shall we?
- John Wick: in his home, gun-fu (club scene)
- John Wick Chapter 2: Car-fu, re-imagining another pencil scene, subway scene with Common, not a fight scene but Gianna final scene was so beautifully shot
- John Wick 3 Parabellum: Horse-fu, motorcycle and ninjas, knife scene, dog-fu, glass/mirror scene, guns lots of guns
- Also proves it is possible to have a steady shot of action scenes. Personally it is better and you can really appreciate the fight choreography.
- John Wick stands on it’s own. It is bespoke. It doesn’t rely upon pop culture references. A solid narrative. A man that loved a woman so mcuh that he retired from his life of being a hitman and amazing assassin. Baba Yaga! He comes out of retirement to avenge the last parting gift from his wife is taken from him. After digesting this beautiful story of loss and grief, we delve further into the delicious assassin world.
- No other rom com can compete with John Wick’s love story.
Unrelated but vital points
- It’s rare for actors/actresses to have a prestigious role that defines their career. For Keanu to have the Matrix series and now John Wick is a blessing to us all.
- We are not fans of Ruby Rose. No passionate reason. She just seems as exciting as paint drying competition.
- Popular action movies can sometimes disregard a strong narrative in lieu of dick throbbing explosions. John Wick weaves these elements seamlessly.
- We stan an iconic Idris Elba and if he wants to be the first bond to stand out (for his rugged good looks) then so be it
- Colin Firth is to KT what Halle Berry is to Oti
For Your Reference
Our suggestions on what you should watch in supplement of this movie!