Cover your screens as we dive into the highly praised Anthology series from the mind grapes of Charlie Brooker. We talk about our changing habits as consumers, our favourite episodes and Season 5.
Released: December 2011
Episodes to date: 22 (+1 interactive film)
Network: Channel 4 (S1-2) Netflix (S3-S5)
Breakdown and Analysis
- What is it with our increasing appetite for tech driven horrors? At a time when this was a relatively new concept, Black Mirror astounded many.
- With the increasing platforms at which we can consume content, we no longer need to go to the cinema to experience an all immersive world with impeccable acting and lingering thoughts to continue to digest.
- Black Mirror carved their own niche as it doesn’t nicely fit as a TV show or a movie.
- Oti’s favourite episode is S4E4: Hang the DJ. As we have been together since dinosaurs roamed the earth, it was fascinating to experience dating app life through this episode. If you’ve got a story to tell, feel free to spill the tea with us.
- KT’s favourite episode is S2E1: Be Right Back. What a beautiful piece of film. A poignant case study in grief and letting someone or not letting someone go. We know Black Mirror has technology as a recurring driving force throughout however this episode was so deeply resonating with a human element at the helm. This is within the realms of what a normal person might experience when dealing with the loss of a loved one.
- Season 5 continues on the decline from previous series. If you want to compare it to what is out there, it’s still good but compared to it’s own series, it doesn’t stack up. Bonus points however to the sex scenes in Striking Vipers and the acting of Mark Scott and Damson Idris in Smithereens.
Unrelated but vital points
- Self care is very important and we hope you are well xo
- It will be interesting to experience more interactive episodes.
- 24 is not that great. Again, Oti doesn’t read these so I say what I want. Fight me.
- Gemma Chan is too pure for this world and we do not deserve her.
For Your Reference
Our suggestions on what you should watch in supplement of this TV show!