Columbia Classics 4K UHD Collection coming to shelves in June!
Columbia Pictures has announced a special collection of six of its iconic films, the Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection, which will see six films coming to 4K UHD for the first time, including Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Lawrence of Arabia and more!
The collector’s set, which also features Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Worrying and Love the Bomb, Gandhi, A League of Their Own and Jerry Maguire, is paired with an 80-page hardbound book on the history and impact of the films with over 30 hours of new and archival special features included.
While four of the films are frequently cited as some of the greatest films of all time, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment sought to ensure fans’ voices were heard on what films to include in the collection and took a poll asking which modern classics they’d include in the gift set, with over 30,000 responses naming A League of Their Own and Jerry Maguire as the victors.
The six films in the collection are only available on 4K Ultra HD disc within the special collector’s set in a limited run of few than 8,000 units in the U.S., which will also feature an exclusive disc featuring excerpts from Columbia Pictures’ televised 50th anniversary special, which originally aired in 1975 and has never been officially available. These excerpts feature rare on-camera insights from such luminaries as Frank Capra, Phil Silvers and Orson Welles. This exclusive disc also includes the vintage behind-the-scenes documentary “Mr. Attenborough and Mr. Gandhi,” which was filmed on the set of Ganhdi and features interviews with cast and crew.
The full list of titles and features includes:
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Jean Arthur, James Stewart and Claude Rains star in Frank Capra’s Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. This award-winning classic is about an idealistic, small-town American senator who heads to Washington, DC, and suddenly finds himself single-handedly battling ruthless politicians who are out to destroy him. Receiving a total of eleven 1939 Oscar® nominations (including Best Picture and Best Director), and winning one (Best Writing, Original Story), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is considered one of Capra’s, Stewart’s and Columbia’s finest films.
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington Special Features;
- Audio Commentary with Frank Capra Jr.
- Frank Capra Jr. Remembers… Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
- Conversations with Frank Capra Jr.: The Golden Years
- Conversations with Frank Capra Jr.: A Family History
- Frank Capra: Collaboration
- The Frank Capra I Knew
- Frank Capra’s American Dream Feature-Length Documentary
- Domestic & International Theatrical Trailers
Lawrence of Arabia
Winner of 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture of 1962, Lawrence of Arabia stands as one of the most timeless and essential motion picture masterpieces. The greatest achievement of its legendary, Oscar-winning director, David Lean (1962, Lawrence of Arabia; 1957 The Bridge on the River Kwai), the film stars Peter O’Toole — in his career-making performance — as T.E. Lawrence, the audacious World War I British army officer who heroically united rival Arab desert tribes and led them to war against the mighty Turkish Empire.
Nominated for 10 Academy Awards in 1962, Lawrence of Arabia won seven, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography (Color), Best Art Direction-Set Decoration (Color), Best Film Editing, Best Music (Score) and Best Sound.
Lawrence of Arabia Special Features:
- NEW: Unused International Prologue (4K UHD Exclusive)
- Secrets of Arabia: Feature-Length Picture-in-Graphics Track
- Peter O’Toole Revisits Lawrence of Arabia
- Making of Lawrence of Arabia Documentary
- Deleted Balcony Scene with Introduction by Anne V. Coates
- The Lure of the Desert: Martin Scorsese on Lawrence of Arabia
- A Conversation with Steven Spielberg
- Wind, Sand and Star: The Making of a Classic (1963 & 1970 Versions)
- Maan, Jordan: The Camels Are Cast
- In Search of Lawrence
- Romance of Arabia
- King Hussein Visits Lawrence of Arabia Set
- In Love with the Desert Documentary
- Lawrence at 50: A Classic Restored
- Steven Spielberg on Lawrence of Arabia
- William Friedkin on Lawrence of Arabia
- Sydney Pollack on Lawrence of Arabia
- New York Premiere Footage
- Advertising Campaigns
- Vintage Trailers & TV Spots
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Nominated for four Academy Awards including Best Picture (1964), Stanley Kubrick’s black comedy about a group of paranoia-inspired, war-happy generals who manage to initiate an “accidental” nuclear apocalypse, is horribly frightening, delightfully funny and surprisingly relevant to this day. This is the saga of two psychotic generals: Joint Chief of Staff “Buck” Turgidson (George C. Scott) and Air Force Strategic Commander Jack Ripper (Sterling Hayden), who orders a bomber squadron to attack the USSR, triggering a Soviet secret weapon, the “Doomsday Machine”, a diabolical retaliatory missile system. Peter Sellers portrays a trio of men who attempt to avert this catastrophe: British Captain Lionel Mandrake, the only person with access to paranoid Gen. Ripper; U.S. President Muffley, whose best attempt at diverting this disaster depends on convincing a boozed-up Soviet Premier it’s all a silly mistake; and the President’s advisor, Dr. Strangelove, a demented ex-Nazi scientist. Can any one of them possibly save the world?
Dr. Strangelove 4K UHD Special Features:
- NEW: “Stanley Kubrick Considers the Bomb” Featurette
- Mick Broderick Interview
- Joe Dunton and Kelvin Pike Interview
- Richard Daniels Interview
- David George Interview
- Rodney Hill Interview
- Archival Stanley Kubrick Audio Interview
- The Today Show Clips featuring Peter Sellers and George C. Scott
- Exhibitor Trailer
- Theatrical Trailer
Dr. Strangelove Blu-ray Special Features:
- The Cold War Feature-Length Picture-in-Picture Track
- Inside Dr. Strangelove
- No Fighting in the War Room
- An Interview with Robert McNamara
- Best Sellers
- The Art of Stanley Kubrick
- Split-Screen Interviews with Peter Sellers and George C. Scott
Sir Ben Kingsley stars as Mohandas Gandhi in Lord Richard Attenborough’s riveting biography of the man who rose from simple lawyer to worldwide symbol of peace and understanding. A critical masterpiece, Gandhi is an intriguing story about activism, politics, religious tolerance and freedom. But at the center of it all is an extraordinary man who fought for a nonviolent, peaceful existence, and set an entire nation free. Winner of 8 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director (Richard Attenborough) and Best Actor (Sir Ben Kingsley), Gandhi‘s highly acclaimed cast also includes Candice Bergen, Edward Fox, Sir John Gielgud, Roshan Seth and Martin Sheen.
Gandhi Special Features:
- NEW: Theatrical Trailers
- Introduction & Commentary with Director Richard Attenborough
- Gandhi’s Legacy: Feature-Length Picture-in-Graphics Track
- Sir Ben Kingsley Talks about Gandhi
- Vintage Newsreel Footage
- In Search of Gandhi
- Reflections on Ben
- Madeleine Slade: An Englishwoman Abroad
- The Funeral
- Looking Back
- Shooting an Epic in India
- Designing Gandhi
- From the Director’s Chair
- The Words of Mahatma Gandhi
- The Making of Gandhi Photo Montage
A League of Their Own
It’s a home run with this hilarious and beloved comedy, starring Tom Hanks, Geena Davis and Madonna. With baseball lineups and locker rooms left empty during World War II, the newly-founded All-American Girls Baseball League brought talented women to the big leagues—and brought fans to the stands. The indomitable Dottie Hinson (Davis) finds herself leading a rag tag group of players who end up winning over the heart of their has-been coach, Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks). Lori Petty, Rosie O’Donnell and Jon Lovitz round out the all-star roster. Based on the true story of the pioneering women who blazed the trail for generations of athletes. Directed by Penny Marshall.
A League of Their Own Special Features:
- Domestic Theatrical Trailer (4K UHD Exclusive)
- NEW: 5 International Teasers & Trailers (4K UHD Exclusive)
- NEW: 3 episodes from the 1993 TV series, “A League of Their Own” (4K UHD Exclusive)
- Feature Commentary with Director Penny Marshall and Actresses Lori Petty, Tracy Reiner, and Megan Cavanagh
- Nine Memorable Innings Documentary
- Deleted Scenes
- The Enduring Legacy of A League of Their Own
- “This Used to Be My Playground” Music Video by Madonna
Tom Cruise stars as Jerry Maguire, a sports agent who’s enduring a crisis of conscience. After he suddenly and unceremoniously loses his job and his girlfriend (Kelly Preston), both his personal and professional careers hit an all-time low. But when a single mother (Renée Zellweger) enters his life and his heart, he finds himself negotiating the biggest deal of his life…for the heart and the hand of the woman that he loves. Cuba Gooding, Jr. (in an Academy Award- winning performance, 1996, Best Supporting Actor), Jay Mohr, Regina King, Jonathan Lipnicki and Bonnie Hunt co-star in this beloved blockbuster hit from writer/director Cameron Crowe. Nominated for five Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Actor – Tom Cruise.
Jerry Maguire Special Features:
- NEW: “The Fast Times and Long Career of Cameron Crowe” episode of the “Here’s The Thing” podcast, hosted by Alec Baldwin and produced by WNYC Studios (4K UHD Exclusive)
- Feature-Length Picture-in-Picture Commentary with Cameron Crowe, Tom Cruise, Renée Zellweger & Cuba Gooding, Jr.
- Jerry Maguire: We Meet Again 3-Part Documentary
- Nearly 1 Hour of Deleted & Extended Scenes
- Behind the Scenes at the Video Commentary
- The Making of Jerry Maguire
- Photo Gallery
- “My First Commercial” by Rod Tidwell
- Drew Rosenhaus: “How to Be a Sports Agent”
- Original Deleted & Alternate Scenes
- Rehearsal Footage
- “Secret Garden” Music Video by Bruce Springsteen
- Theatrical Trailer
EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC INCLUDES:
- Excerpts from the 1975 TV special celebrating the 50th anniversary of Columbia Pictures
- “Mr. Attenborough and Mr. Gandhi” Vintage Behind the Scenes Documentary
Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection hits shelves on June 16!
The post Columbia Classics 4K UHD Collection Coming to Shelves in June! appeared first on ComingSoon.net.
Author: Grant Hermanns